Dampp-Chaser question

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 1 23:14:42 MDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Paul Mulik <tubist at swbell.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've installed several Dampp-Chaser* systems in medium-sized grands, but
> later this month I will be installing a system in a new concert
> grand.  How
> will this installation be different?  Should I install two tanks?  Two
> light
> panels?  Extra rods?  Will there still be just one humidistat?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul Mulik
> Joplin, MO
>
> *Somehow I just can't make myself call it a "piano life saver."
>

> Hi Paul,

I have installed several systems myself and rather than use the "one size
fits all" approach I taylor my installs to fit the situation. 2 examples
come to mind, both churches, both with high humidity problems in summer but
miles apart both literaly and causaly. The first was a 5 year old structure
built into the side of a bluff overlooking a river, as if that wasn't bad
enough the entire structure was cement, block, red brick(except for the
roof) and received no direct sunlight after 3:00PM daily. I installed a
G6PS50 SHB with an additional 50w dehumidifier in the 7'2" new Boston Grand
they purchased about a year and a half ago. I covered it with a full drop
cover that reaches within 1/2" of the floor the full perimeter of the
piano(available by special order from Paul Jansen & Son)
The piano is only opened for choir rehearsal, the occasional wedding or
funeral and sunday services, otherwise it is kept covered and does not vary
more than 4 to 6 beats season to season. The second is in a little very old
brick church in the middle of Wisconsin Cranberry country, No A/C, one large
heat vent for the entire sanctuary located about 4 feet behind the nose of
this little 5'2" 10 or 12 year old Hyundai Grand that was acquired used.
After my 4th service call in about 10 weeks(they had owned it for 12 weeks)I
suggested a Dampp-Chaser system and full drop cover. The last service call
was for "sticky keys", I removed rodent droppings lodged between the keys!
My thought was if there was a full drop cover in place the piano would be
closed up and no mice could get in. We installed the same system as above
with the full drop cover and there have been no more service calls!
I have no experience with the string covers, I would think(guessing
here)they would work better in a home environment where a cover would not be
feasable.
My point in doing the covers whenever possible, especially in the churches
is the pianos aren't moved around like they are in a school or stage
environment, they can be persuaded to keep them closed when not in use and
the cover helps hold in the "conditioned air" whether it's dried or
humidified. This benefits the action as well as the sounding board much more
so than an undercover and stringcover would by keeping the action at a
constant humidity level rather than having it changing constantly while the
tuning remains stable. So your Dampp-Chaser system can actually benefit the
whole piano much as it does in a vertical.
So I don't know what sort of use or situation the piano you mention is going
to be used for but I would suggest considering the type of use, type of
construction of the building, care it will MOST LIKELY get when you aren't
there. Then call Dampp-Chaser and talk with Kelly and get some suggestions
from her.

Good Luck,
Mike

--
You never truely understand something until you can explain it to your
grandmother. --Albert Einstein

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404