Tuning pin drilling? followup

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 1 09:28:03 MDT 2007

>   Yup, I got that part.
>   Only one pass.

That's what I figured - hence the ask.

>Afterward I surmised that with the two step drilling
> protocol that even if the  first hole had a little wobble while being
> drilled the second pass would clean up any discrepancies.

That's the whole point of two pass drilling. Incremental
refinement, like going over action regulation, voicing, etc
multiple times making smaller changes each time gets a more
accurate and uniform job that one extra careful pass. The
bonus is that there's no need whatsoever for cooling the bit
or being particularly careful with feed speeds with either pass.

>      When I'm drilling on a stationary press I never drill twice & my
> pin fit is very consistent.For me it's so much quicker easier. I also
>  have a very accurate way of determining the plate hole center which I
> like & so I probably won't switch any time soon.
>   Dale

Whatever works for you. I find that two quick passes takes
maybe 10-15 minutes longer total then one careful and
controlled pass and produces a better job in my shop without
blowing insufficiently dehumidified air at the bit and block.
I ain't selling the technique, just sharing something I
learned along the way that might benefit someone else as it
has me.
Ron N