future technicians

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Thu May 31 22:37:14 MDT 2007

This afternoon, I wrote a letter to the first piano technician I ever
watched tuning a piano.  That was back in the early '60s, and even as a
pretty young kid, I thought it was the most wonderful thing ever.  He'll be
80 this summer and is celebrating his 40th year in the PTG.  I don't expect
him to remember me, but he surely did change my life.

So, when I work in a house with kids (or interested adults), I always take
time to show them what's going on inside the piano and how things work, in
general.  With case parts removed, I encourage them to play so they can see
it all in motion.  (I've heard that the little ones don't pound as much
afterwards.)

And this month, I've heard from two young tuning customers who have decided
they want to try their hands at being technicians.  They're both good
pianists and budding composers, but I'm pretty sure neither of them had ever
considered being a technician until we spent time talking about it and
poking around inside pianos together.  And you can bet they've heard a lot
about the PTG and why they should join! <g>

What goes around does come around..........

Annie Grieshop