Jaras Jig and buttons

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 30 07:13:25 MDT 2007

>    If I could make a suggestion, key elements in button replacement are
> that:
> 1. It is more important that the mortised area of the button be in-line
> (parallel) with the balance hole, not centered in the keystick or
> button,

Why? Whether the balance hole is centered or not, centering
the bushing mortise, or not, won't make any difference in key
function. The photo is from a NY Steinway D, factory job. I
wouldn't reproduce this with button replacement, would you?

> 2. the placement be such that the pin does not hit the back of the
> mortised area in the button when depressed.
> Just some things to consider. Mike

Well, yea, and make sure the bushing mortise goes front to
back, rather then side to side. It's like any parts
replacement. You check clearances and limits of travel to make
sure the thing works before you nail it down.

Ron N