was: help with Jaras Jig

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Mon May 28 14:46:33 MDT 2007

Many thanks for the replies.
I did go back into the March and April 2001 Journal and research John
Hartman's great articles on key button installation/replacement.
Set up and installed the buttons as he described and the job was relatively
simple.
However, I am still not quite satisfied with the results as the centering of
the new key button mortises' was not concistently dead center on the key
stick. As far as the button shoulders having a nice straight line and spaced
good in relation to the key capstans it was very good. All was much better
than the Jaras Jig provided however - which is now in jig heaven - as John
would say.
Looking at the photo in the April 01 Journal of his finished product on page
30 I see that this left to right centering of the button mortise is also
slightly off and inconsistant in relation to the key stick.
I suppose this is about as good as it gets?
I still cannot figure how to get consistent results for this but maybe it is
really not necessary and or I need to do several more sets?
I have not got to the key spacing part of the job yet and I may need to
re-do a couple of buttons if there is a problem.
Comments welcome
Gene Nelson