Erard under dampers

David Doremus algiers_piano at bellsouth.net
Mon May 28 11:47:26 MDT 2007

John Delacour wrote:
> At 12:43 pm -0500 26/5/07, David Doremus wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know a source for flat white felt for these? I need felt
>> tapering from 1 3/4" wide to 3/4" wide, 1/2" or 7/16" thick. It looks
>> like a slot is cut in the center of the strip so it can be folded up
>> and glued into a groove in the middle of the head. Pretty nice system
>> actually if you can find the felt to work with it.
>
> Try Fletcher and Newman <mailto:info at fletcher-newman.co.uk>.  They
> used to supply it but I think it was from Whitehead's Royal George
> works, which is now defunct.  Perhaps Laoureux does it.  The French
> denizens of the list might have more information.
>
> As to the stepping of the felt, there is no cutting involved.  I have
> posted some pictures of the way I have always done it, which is as
> near as you'll get to the process used by the original makers. They've
> forgotten how to do it now and stitch the felt instead, which is not
> nearly as good.  The URI is:
>
> <http://pianomaker.co.uk/technical/shaped_damper_felt/>
John, that is very useful, thanks. I may write for help as I get into
it. Do you buy the flat felt as a sheet and cut strips as you need it?
The Erard has no backing felt. I was thinking of shaping it in a very
similar fashion, do you need to use glue to stiffen the back without
backing, or could I just make a little press and clamp the dampers down
to the felt which is on the press and then slice them apart? I have not
ordered from F & N in a while but have gotten good things from them in
the past.