Odd pin block

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon May 28 08:00:10 MDT 2007

Or, you could go up. Like up to your ceiling. My ceiling track mounted drill press was a bit of a project to build, but it sure does work nice. It will travel in the X direction as far as you want to make your track long - mine travels about 12 feet - Y direction travel is about a foot, 360 degree swivel, and more than enough tilt (mine will tilt about 15 degrees). As long as your mount to the ceiling is strong, you can make the unit as heavy as you dare so that it won't rise up if you are trying to jam a dull drill bit into hard wood (but then, why would you do that anyway?). If I really try to turn my feed handle hard/fast, yes I can make my unit lift off the track a bit - but in practice it never happens. The overhead drill is also great for drilling vertical hitch pins in the plate at very exacting and consistent angles.

A couple pictures of it below. If you or anyone else is interested in any further info, email me privately.

Terry Farrell