Bass string scaling question

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun May 27 15:22:56 MDT 2007

At 10:39 am -0700 27/5/07, David Love wrote:

>Thanks.  That's helpful.  So while 55% represents the maximum, what is your
>typical target?

Often the maximum, but I will often make all the singles
double-covered for smaller pianos even if the scale would allow for a
few single-covered.  The use of a few single-covered strings in
short, production scales is often a decision of the original
string-maker rather than the scale man in order to save a bit of
time.  All it does is provide one more unnecessary transition in the
scale, which can be very noticeable.  No amount of experience and
calculation can predict the precise quality of a break in a piano 200
miles away that one has never seen or heard, so the fewer breaks
there are the better.

>Additionally, is there a standard ratio that you target between the
>inner and outer wrap on a double wrapped string.

Yes.  I use mainly two ratios -- 30/70 for longer scales and 40/60
for short scales.  Occasionally I will do a few at 30/70 and then
continue to the bottom with 30/70, but not usually.  25/75 is also a
ratio that can be used for pianos that can be improved by just a few
d/c strings at the bottom, for example the Bechstein 6'6" and 6'9"
grands. Certain ratios, such as 33/66 must be avoided since this
creates a visible, and presumably audible, interference between the
covers.

JD