Odd pin block

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun May 27 08:38:18 MDT 2007

>    */ How fast can you gitter done this way & do you think it is the
> same amount of time as doing it the other way? ie. on the drill press.

I've never done one on a drill press, so I don't have a
comparison. It may take another 15 minutes for two passes as
opposed to one though, since I go through the first pass of
two faster than I would just a single pass. I'll gladly spend
an extra 15 minutes for the result in uniformity.

> Also, as you are pushing the quill down do you find that it wants to
> lift the drill press off the plank floor? Seems to me that the drill
> machine it self needs to have some weight to resist this phenom./*
> */  Dale:/*

If I stand on the handle, sure, it'll lift the front of the
machine doing the first pass. The first pass isn't remotely
critical in any way but placement. I'm just removing material,
and I try to remember to let the bit cut it out rather than
trying to punch it through the bottom of the block. If I go to
sleep or get in a hurry and lift the machine front once in a
while, it won't damage the hole enough to affect the second
pass and final fit of the tuning pin. The second pass is just
removing 0.009" of wood, which is enough to erase the sins of
the first pass, but I don't think I could jam the bit in fast
enough against that little resistance to lift the machine. I
drill the second pass with more attention to applying a
similar feed rate from hole to hole than to maximum speed.

Are you single drilling, or double? From the bit sizes you
quoted, I'd guess you're single drilling.

Ron N