buzz

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat May 26 18:39:04 MDT 2007

> I have a new client next week with a "buzz".  I'm not good at finding
> such things, but assuming it is a wound string, how do I make SURE that
> is the culprit?  Is there a way to force the buzz to be louder, or to
> eliminate the buzz in that string?
>
> thanks
> les  bartlett

I had a new one last week with "buzzes" in the bass,
nonspecific. It was a "rebuilt" Steinway L. The plate looked
like it had been dipped in a reddish copper goo, agraffes
included. Pinblock not remotely fitted to the plate, no crown,
no bearing, 3/0 pins in the new block, original wippens,
tuning pin coils all over the place, new keytops with the keys
filed out of square, etc, etc - and rather nicely refinished.
In short, a standard dealer rebuild for this area except for
the keytops having been filed at all. He'd had the rebuilder
out four or five times with the complaint about the bass buzz,
but it was never resolved to his satisfaction. The hammers
(Abels, from the look of them) looked like they had been
attacked by gerbils, which might not be that far off. Just off
of the strike point, fore and aft, the felt was chewed out
like the guy had picked at the surface of them with needles
instead of stabbing them. They were like this through the
entire scale. I'd love to talk to him to learn what he thought
he was doing. Meanwhile, I didn't hear anything I'd call a
buzz in the bass, but the "hand picked" hammers were still
like rocks, and there was a lot of high partial clang through
the whole piano. We had a long detailed discussion about the
state of the piano, and alternative remedial approaches, and I
went with the resulting triage plan.

I did some tuning, and a bunch of hammer stabbing, making a
dozen passes from high shoulders across the strike point,
bringing the thing down and evening out the damage. A 5000+
hole voicing later, the sound was pronounced to be
considerably more tolerable ("Why didn't the other guy do
this?", he asked...), and he said he'd called his "banker" ,
and she agreed to putting them on the list for rebuilding.

It's the long way around, I know, but the upshot is that a
buzz is sometimes just a buzz, but sometimes not. Like
clearing any other minefield, you have to dig a bit to disarm
the thing. I find that the less I think about it beforehand,
the more flexible and receptive I am when I get there, and I'm
horrified for shorter overall periods.

Give us the postmortem when you get back.
Ron N