QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD PIANO

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Fri May 25 09:55:35 MDT 2007

Terry,
We've all got our unique market pool. Or, for that matter, what we (or,
rather, our customers) call an "old upright." Some refer to a 35 year old
console as an old upright. Others refer to their piano "that is in wonderful
condition"; true, that 100 year old Ivers & Pond is well polished and there
are no visible dings or scratches, but generations of use and neglect await
when we open up the patient.
If one digs up the statistics for piano sales by model type
(grand/upright/spinet) going back far enough (I just appraised a 1868
Steinway Style I 7'3" grand; pianos from the late 1890s are no rarity around
New England) you may well find that 80% figure to be surprisingly accurate.
Patrick Draine