Question about an old piano

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 21:38:17 MDT 2007

Marshall,

My guess is that this Baurer is really an Bauer or Julius Bauer piano.  They made some very high quality instruments that can be worth rebuilding.  You did not mention if it's a grand or upright.  Mostly I've seen Bauer grands.  They have some real interesting design features, and a lot of experimenting was going on there.  Soundboards were ribbed top and bottom, not so easy to clean, but they hold up better than average.  The soundboards were glued into the inner rim as normal, but the outer rim is completely separate.  Some models have adjustment screws between them to increase crown.  If you check the 20 Years of the Piano Technicians Journal on CD, you can see one of these.  It probably also has all flat dampers like someone has addressed here recently.

I don't know if this piano would be a good investment of money, it no longer has any public name recognition, but you can certainly learn something from it.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
847-498-0379