QUESTION ABOUT AN OLD PIANO

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:20:22 MDT 2007

Marshall,

I am recommending people not do anything with old uprights. I no
longer tune them, having built up a database that at present allows me
to work on other pianos.

My experience with old uprights is that they require more work than
tuning. That "more work" ends up being personally unsatisfying because
there is so much more work that should be done before tuning, and the
customer is unwillling or unable to pay (and I don't recommend any
work except full restoration which never gets a taker). Things like
adjusting 1/4" or more of lost motion, backchecks, etc. Not to mention
hard hammers and deteriorated everything that make tuning difficult.

John Formsma