The Beauty of the Open-Faced Pinblock

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu May 24 11:49:31 MDT 2007

The Beauty of the Open-Faced PinblockOn this piano I am keeping the bottoms of my coils about 4 mm off the pinblock (one good coil thickness/height). Rather than measuring to the top of the pin, I place a small rectangular piece of maple 4 mm thick at the base of the coil. Then as I pound the pin in with my air hammer, I simply stop when the snugged coil bottom just touches the wood gauge. Seems to work quite well and addresses the question of how to measure pin height when using an air hammer.

Terry Farrell