Gluing suede leather to Music Desk

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Thu May 24 09:50:18 MDT 2007

I posted earlier for ideas on gluing suede to a grand music desk.  The tests
with spray adhesives left me doubting the longevity with this adhesive.  3M
"90" and "77" had the best tack, but after 24 hours it was rather easy to
peel the leather up.  The same happened with water based adhesives.  I found
a 3M foam tape at my favorite Ace Hardware.  The double sided adhesive was
very aggressive and took some extra care getting it and the leather nicely
placed.  The polyester that was on the desk was lifting with many big chunks
missing, so I scraped off the remaining poly and left the aluminum slightly
rough with  80 grit sand paper.   Success!   The church is happy with it.

Jansen & Son of Oshkosh, Wisconsin, cut me a strip of leather to my
dimensions and color. FYI they manufacture benches and cover some with
leather.  I told "Bill" I could use some leather scrap for test material and
other applications, and he sent me 3 pounds for a nominal fee.

Thanks to all who offered suggestions.

Paul C