Odd pin block

Shawn Brock shawn_brock at comcast.net
Wed May 23 20:15:07 MDT 2007

List,
I'm not the sharpest on new pin block installation but today I saw something that seemed odd.  While tuning an old Baldwin Grand from the thirties I pulled the action and for some reason touched the bottom of the pin block.  It was not drilled all the way through!  I don't think I have ever noticed a shallow drilled grand pin block before.  This got me to thinking about reasons why someone would drill this way?  I came up with 0!  This was a pin block installed by a technician here in the area.  He is not on this list and to be truthful I don't think much of his work.  So maybe its just one of those odd jobs that a less skilled technician would perform?  Or maybe its a common method used on grand pin blocks and my blind a-s just don't know it?  The grand blocks that I have dun, or helped do were drilled all the way through!  So you guys tell me.  What gives?  Thanks!