moth damage

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue May 22 09:31:12 MDT 2007

Often you see in old pianos cankered felts and a lot of very small black
globules on the damaged felt. That´s done by moths, that´s clear. But how do
you deal with that problem? When it´s an old piano and a compete rebuilding
should be done, just replace the felts and it´s okay. But yesterday I tuned
an 8 years old Fiebiger upright and some felts were damaged. No problem to
fix the symptoms, but how to prevent further damage? My idea was to blow
away the black globules with a compressor. Then I asked myself what these
globules might be: moth shit or moth eggs? If it were eggs it might be bad
to blow them under other action felts where they could continue to damage.
Another topic: should I do that in my workshop where other pianos could be
damaged????? If it were only moth excrement it should be okay to clean the
action with a compressor.

How to make shure that no new damage will be done? Kill the unborn moth
before they eclose out of the eggs? And how to do that?

Gregor