how about? for damper felts

vince mrykalo madvinmryk at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 16:26:56 MDT 2007

Allen,
  It works well using the same size pins.  It doesn't eliminate the need of easing, but you are much closer to where you want to be.

  From: Allen Wright <akwright at btopenworld.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 15:22:06 +0100
Subject: Re: how about? for damper felts

I've never had problems with steam on keys, either.

Does anyone ever size the balance holes by inserting key pins in them
right after they're steamed (and leaving until dry)? Similar to
Spurlock's sizing cauls for the mortise, in other words. I've always
meant to try that...but perhaps something a thousandth or two bigger
than the pins in the piano might be necessary? Anyone have experience
with this? Seems like it might prevent much of the need for easing,
if it were done right.

This may have been discussed on the list before, but if so I missed it.

Sincerely,

Allen Wright

      Vince Mrykalo RPT MPT
  University of Utah

  "Minél több a változás, annál nagyobb az állandoság"

  The more I learn, the less I know.

  www.mrykalopiano.com