how about ? for damper felts

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Fri May 18 19:31:27 MDT 2007

David,

By "here" I meant specifically the Steinway shop in London. I haven't
been here long enough, or met enough independent techs, to have any
good idea of what the state of the art is in the rest of the UK. I
assume that it must be as varied as it is is in the US - t least, I
certainly hope so.

And to answer your question about the staff at Steinway London: it's
a very intelligent, professional, and open-minded group, generally
speaking - I'm very happy working there. As is probably normal and to
be expected in any similar institutional setting, certain long-
established protocols are in place in terms of techniques, based on
institutional history, unique individuals, etc. that get the job done
(usually very well) but may not necessarily be the most "cutting
edge" or efficient. It's possible I may be able to introduce or
suggest some techniques that may get the job done a bit more
efficiently.

I agree with you that the over-riding open-mindedness (and
wililngness to listen to and consider all ideas) mentality of this
PTG listserve discussion is a very valuable and unique thing. I
imagine if the UK had as well organized a professional group a the
PTG - and (importantly) one with as large a membership, similar
attitudes might exist.

Please say hello next time you're in London!

Best regards,

Allen