how about? for damper felts

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri May 18 14:00:41 MDT 2007

I agree with Ed. White glue, CA, and a number of other glues will certainly
work okay, but hot hide minimizes glue penetration into the felt as good or
better than any other glue and is easier to remove than any other glue. The
bit of felt glued with white glue I have experience with were not easy to
remove. I've tried with a knife - and I kinda worked - I changed the
thickness of some damper heads a bit - I sure didn't find it real easy. With
hot hide, you just let 'em soak for a while and they fall off - quick wipe
of the damper head and you have a completely clean original wood surface
ready for more hot hide glue.

IMHO, the advantages are all with hot hide and I don't see any
disadvantages. Some would suggest that you don't want to use hot hide in a
customer's home. Whereas they are correct that Elmer's or CA would be easier
to use out in the field, I have used hot hide on field jobs and found it to
not be too onerous an endeavor.

And my shop puppies love me for using hot hide glue (and dropping a bit on
the floor!).

Terry Farrell