The Dream of Absolute Quiet - New York Times

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Thu May 17 17:21:09 MDT 2007

Yes, absolutely.  It's not really hyperacusis, but there are similarities
when you just can't take the noise of "normal" daily life.

I'm in the process of buying a piece of land, just so I can get as far from
other folks' noise as possible.  Currently, I live in a very small town
which is nearly perfectly quiet in the middle of the night -- but even then,
I can hear the 60-cycle hum that accompanies most human endeavors these
days.

By the way, I'd happily sell my current house/shop/book of business to any
competent technician who's interesting in living in eastern Iowa.  It's a
lovely area, and there are many opportunities for lots of music-related work
(tuning, performing, teaching, selling).  I'll have photos, etc., on my
website soon, but it's not yet ready for prime time....... The land I'm
buying is about 120 miles from here (back where I came from), and while I'll
continue to serve my customers here as long as necessary, I'd be glad to
hand it on at a very reasonable price.  It's been a great place to get
started.

Annie Grieshop

nted=print