piano preservation

Delwin D Fandrich fandrich at pianobuilders.com
Wed May 16 11:41:45 MDT 2007

Hi Jack,

I've been asked to take part in a panel discussion (sponsored by CAUT) on the
preservation and restoration of historically significant pianos. I've been
included, probably, because I'm something of a heretic and have been know, on
occasion, to modify the odd piano. Also, I've designed one or two and they are
interested in my perspective on seeing that work preserved. I'm not sure there
is ever going to be any historical interest in that, but I've agreed to take
part anyway.

Since you've long been the leading proponent of locating and preserving out
piano heritage I'd like to include your thoughts on the subject. (We've all been
asked to present a 10 to 15 minute talk on our particular area of interest and
expertise and I can probably think of about 5 minutes of things to say.) Some of
the things I think would be interesting to the discussion would be your interest
and activities in locating and preserving (sometimes making) action models. Your
work in obtaining interesting and historically significant instruments for the
PTG museum. You might tell me more about the museum, for that. Anything you can
think of and, especially, anything you think might be of help to the museum.

Regards,

Del