Mason & Hamlin Screwstringer

J Patrick Draine jpdraine at gmail.com
Tue May 15 05:57:12 MDT 2007

Tom,
"Just tune it." No reason to drop the pitch below the target pitch,
unless it's already radically over A-440. And as the instructions
suggest, don't overshoot your target either. Yes, there will be
unaccustomed "creep" beyond your target, but just forge forward, then
come back and fine tune it. Different technique, ancient instrument,
no reason to kick yourself if the unisons aren't amazingly pure.
When you next return to the piano (6 months? 6 years?) you'll be
surprised by how little it has drifted from where you left it.
Patrick Draine