Are there many piano techs who are veterans?

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sun May 13 10:46:17 MDT 2007

Hi Diane,

I am a veteran of four year in USAF bands.  I am still in an Air National
Guard band.  Over the years there have been several time with the Air Force
sent a crew to measure sound levels under "normal" rehearsal conditions.
In each case, they have determined that if we were working on a flight line
with the same decibel levels, we would be required to wear hearing
protection.  In only one case, of a half-dozen or so, hearing protection
was issued to all members of the band.  More typically, the consensus was
that hearing protect, even of the type designed for musicians, would
interfere with their musical performance and nothing was done to address to
issue.  In a few cases, individuals took it upon themselves to buy and use
hearing protect designed for musician.

Thanks,
Frank Emerson

Center