Are there many piano techs who are veterans?

Jim Johnson jhjpiano at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 13 09:42:51 MDT 2007

I was in the Army back in the 60's.  I was going through Basic Training
during the Cuban Missle Crisis-a scary time to be in the service.  I then
served as a Fire Direction Control operator for a self-propelled 8" howitzer
battery.  Back in those days they never considered ear protection on the
rifle ranges or when firing the "big" guns.  When the 8" guns fired, often
all six at once, you could feel the pressure wave hit your body.  Ever since
that time, I have had a very measurable mid-range hearing loss (called a
mid-range notch).  Since the hearing loss occured before I learned to tune,
and since I am an aural tuner, it obviously didn't effect my ability to hear
the pitches that are needed for tuning.  It does effect my ability to hear
the typical female voice which falls within my weak area, leading my wife
and daughters to wonder if I was deaf.  Some of that deafness was selective,
I'm sure, but it did tend to cause some communication problems.  I still
have trouble hearing women compared to men.  I have the normal loss of
hearing and difficulty working in noisy invironments which are typical for a
person my age (63).