damper question

Greg Hollister ghollpiano at yahoo.com
Sat May 12 15:02:26 MDT 2007

I am servicing a Geo. Steck (70 years old?) grand that had its bass strings replaced. (The dampers need replacing) The existing dampers are all flat felts, not the typical arrangement of wedges , split wedges etc. (There are a few tight tri-cords.) What I'm wondering is : could this possibly be  the original design or not? And if so should one replace them with the same?  Greg H RPT