war-time piano manufacturing, was German piano history

Frank Emerson pianoguru at earthlink.net
Sat May 12 09:11:12 MDT 2007

Now that brings back memories!  I bought, rebuilt, and sold one of those GI S&S uprights.  Not knowing its history, I was quite surprised to discover that the original finish, under layers of black and white paint, was Olive-Drab Green!  While intended to support the troops on foreign soil, at least one of them ended up in Alaska, where I bought it, which is not surprising, really, since the defense of Alaska and the Aleutian Islands was significant to the US homeland defense.

During WWII, as with other wars, factories that otherwise would be manufacturing "luxury" products, were converted to make products in support of the war.  Baldwin's multi-laminate pinblock was original developed for making propellers for aircraft.  Other piano manufacturers converted to making coffins for the casualties of war.

Frank Emerson