How often do you need a jack-in -the-box?

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Fri May 11 11:31:23 MDT 2007

Julia,

I've pondered this question frequently. Isaac's scissors jack method is
quite good - very controllable, safe and cheap. The first piano jack I
made was Susan Graham's hydraulic jack-in-the-box which worked well once
you got the pump working (bottle jacks tend to be initially stiff every
time they are used), and it was a heavy rig to carry and it leaked oil.
Other ideas, mainly aimed at automotive use, I worry that they look a
little greasy to be used over a freshly vacuumed white carpet. A
protective sheet can be used, I know, but there's always that klutz factor.

A while back I bought a Fulton swivel mount trailer tongue jack for
about $40, removed everything that didn't look like a piano jack and
added parts that did. It was a bit of work to modify and there's
probably other similar jacks out there that are more turn-key usable.
But at least a boat trailer jack is something I can bring into a nice
house because the greasy parts are well contained. It'll suffice
...until the next idea comes along.

Tom Cole