mehlin

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Fri May 11 07:38:41 MDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Conrad Hoffsommer" <hoffsoco at luther.edu>
To: "Pianotech List" <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Friday, May 11, 2007 4:32 AM
Subject: Re: mehlin

> We've got a 1918 vintage 6'4" one here.
> -action firmly screwed in place with center pedal raising the hammers for
> "soft pedal",

I have a relative outside Boston with a 1922 model, also with an
upright-style soft pedal.  I checked the bench, and sure enough: there were
those comma-shaped wooden cams to hold the top open a few inches, so you can
brace yourself when you're pumping the pedals.  I think old-style player
actions couldn't deal with una corda shift, so they shifted the hammers
closer instead.

> -wire bale handle for pulling heavily leaded action

What a benefit for maintenance, at a fairly low cost!  I wish more pianos
had 'em.

--Cy--