Another bearing question - call for expertize

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Thu May 10 07:24:17 MDT 2007

At 11:46 pm +0200 9/5/07, Stéphane Collin wrote:

>Have this gorgeous 1878 8 ft Bechstein...But here is my question :
>is this a sign that the piano had too much downbearing, or not
>enough ?  Indeed, when unstringing, the hole load on the board
>decreased, but then, the board going up, the load of the remaining
>strings was larger than before (or not ?).  So when restringing,
>should I aim for more or less overall downbearing ?

Hello Stéphane,

Q1: Did you take any measurement of the curvature of the soundboard
before you removed the strings?
Q2: Among your experiments to improve the sound, did you include any
tapping down of the strings at the bridge?
Q3: Have you removed the metal frame yet and if so, did you get any
unpleasant surprises?

I find it's almost impossible to judge these situations without the
physical presence of the whole piano and the intuitive messages it
gives.  One possibility that occurs to me -- and I could easily be
quite wrong -- is that there was too much load on the bass bridge,
but then on this piano I guess there are only 17 or 19 notes on this
bridge, though at very high tension.

JD