what's a HASP and the new PTBiz

daniel carlton hacicspe at gmail.com
Tue May 8 16:16:33 MDT 2007

*Subject: Re: I want to buy a HASP
* *I didn't know there was a way to use PTBiz on a second computer. *
*What is a HASP and how does it work? * *There is a new version of PTBiz
available? What is new about it? I thought the author had pretty much given
up on supporting it.*
* *
*Terry Farrell*

hey terry

second question first. this is the HASP article from wikipedia.org:

"Hardware <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware> Against Software
Piracy<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyright_infringement_of_software>(HASP)
is a hardware-based licensing and protection system. Based on flash
technology, modern HASP systems connect to a USB
port<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_port>,
while older ones used the parallel
port<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_port>or the serial
port <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_port> of a
computer<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer>
.
Manufacturers of HASP protected software provide their customers with the
appropriate HASP device.
When a HASP protected program is launched, it checks to see if the device is
attached. If it is, the program receives a license code from the device and
loads the application normally. If the device cannot be detected or is not
installed, the program launch is cancelled."

the HASP that PTBiz uses is just a USB flash drive, looks like a memory
stick.
I figured as long as PTBiz recognizes the HASP on the second computer, it'll
allow me to install it (hopefully). now that I think about it, I *do* have
the program installed on both computers, and if I remember right, as long as
I plug in the HASP in whatever computer I'm working on, I can use PTBiz.

I contacted the author and he told me he had a new shareware version out. i
don't know about any of the new features. i guess he quit using a HASP to
protect it because someone put out a hack for PTBiz on the internet.

daniel carlton