charge for time?

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Tue May 8 06:31:05 MDT 2007

I don't charge for mileage for normally scheduled service calls (those
scheduled well in advance within my normal range and/or those where I can
schedule several appointments in a general area). I figure there are likely
1,000 pianos within a very few miles of me and if I were all that great a
technician, they would all come to me and I would never have to travel more
than 5 miles to an appointment. But I guess I'm not all that great - or at
least all local piano owners are not aware of my abilities. So, in order for
me to schedule as many appointments as I would like (or need to feed my
family), I need to travel a bit further. I figure that's my problem if I
have to travel further than I would prefer - I want that work, so I don't
apply a penalty to the client.

However, if Joe Smoe wants me to service a piano in Bumfoofy, Florida -
three counties over - you bet I will make a separate travel charge (an
hourly rate). Or even if the service call is in my normal area, but maybe 20
miles away, and they want me there at some particular time when I don't have
any other appointments in the area, then they also get invoiced for travel
time.

Oh, and I make sure to drive my 53 mpg Prius!

Terry Farrell