charge for time?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Tue May 8 04:28:18 MDT 2007

>     At the end of the year I deduct all my business miles, as a business
>     expense, at whatever the governments going rate is for that year. I
>     can't believe that it's possible to both charge the customer for
>     those miles and then deduct them as well. Is it? I would think that
>     it's either one or the other. Which one benefits us the most?
>
>     -- Geoff Sykes
>     -- Assoc. Los Angeles

Geoff,

If costs you $4 in gas to get to and from a customer, and you charge
them $4 for mileage, have you made any profit/covered your costs of
doing business?

NO! You actually have a loss. You have neglected to add in vehicle
purchase price/lease, wear and tear, repairs, insurance, registration
fees, etc.

The standard mileage rate is designed to account for all these expenses
  without having to note ALL auto related expenses.  If you have
multiple vehicles, your paperwork increases exponentially.  It is
particularly useful for people who, like me, also use the vehicle(s) for
non-business purposes. If you don't use the standard mileage deduction,
you would then have to apportion everything by that
business/non-business ratio.

If you have an el cheapo gas sipper in a cheap insurance area, as I do,
the standard mileage deduction usually more than covers expenses.  You
folks driving around in Hummers have a problem... ;-}

--
Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.