tuning two pianos together

Cy Shuster cy at shusterpiano.com
Sat May 5 22:37:24 MDT 2007

This is absolutely a case where ETDs shine.

I tuned two D's and a C3 together for a concert.  One D was new, out of C &
A; the other was ten years out of a rebuild; and the C3 was used for daily
teaching.

Using TuneLab, I measured iH on all three pianos, and then went home, sat
back with my iPaq and tried various octave styles.  On the first pass, I
just wanted to get the overall stretch about the same, so I just looked at
the offsets for A0 and C8.  After I got those close (within, say, five
cents), I compared A2, A3, A5, and A6, and kept fiddling until they got
reasonably close.  The best match turned out to be 6:2 12ths in the bass and
3:1 12ths in the treble, for all three pianos!

Once I had my target tuning curves, I just went back and tuned each piano.

--Cy--