Wixey Digital Angle

Terence Miller innuuuu at yahoo.com
Sat May 5 11:20:58 MDT 2007

Dear List:

 I've got a Shop Fox floor radial drill press. It's  much better than anyother drill press I've ever  owned.    It will drill anything at any angle, both the  head and the table can be moved in almost any direction. Cool. But,  just walking over to it and drilling a piece of wood.....the question  always comes up, is the drill bit square to the wood.

I use  the Wixey device to square the table to the drill head: just put the  Wixey on the drill head, press Reset, then put the Wixey on the table.  Adjust the table until the Wixey reads 90.0 degrees, and there you have  it.   (I first compared it to the drill rod-square to table  technique, and the rotating coathanger technique....so I'm confident of  the Wixey.)

  Get the table square, and you can put the Wixey on a workpiece and  raise the piece up to a desired angle for drilling. (I recently had to  drill 23.5 and 32.5 degrees, worked  fine)                I'm thinking this will work nicely for boring hammers!

  The instructions warn you that the Wixey is not a level. (But the 3 or  more levels I own  which all disagree a little may not be levels  either.) I haven't tried it on or across a bridge, but it might be good  for examining the downbearing issue (just don't tell the Wixey  folks)                     (Dale, I can see one of these riding on top of your little  bridge-crossing-beam.......a little geometry and you wouldn't need a  feeler gauge.)

  I like it alot. $39.99 at Woodcraft.

  best,

  Terry