tuning two pianos together

Phil Bondi phil at philbondi.com
Sat May 5 07:00:45 MDT 2007

John, this is an example of how a machine can do a great
job for you.

Here's my suggestions:

-Straight FAC, or whatever visual method of your choice.
Don't make any big changes to the original settings you get
from the machine.

-double-check all unisons. There's 2 places where you need
to be extremely fussy. This is one of them. The other is:

-The Bass/Tenor Break area of the 'lesser' piano'..in your
case, the Weber(?!!?!). Use the machine to find out where
the D is sitting in this area..from C#2 to G2. If you're
able, work this area to where the Weber and the D are
close. There will be a little funkiness..don't worry too
much about it not being in tune with itself here, or
slightly out of tune..there's enough funk on that Weber,
I'm sure, to compromise with its greater brethren for this
application. There's not going to be a huge difference
between the Weber being 'in tune' and the Weber 'in tune
with the Steinway'.

John, you said:

> then tune with open unisons to get the most
> expanded tuning as will fit the piano.

I disagree because you're dealing with apples and
oranges..not so much with the size difference, but with the
scale/tension difference between the 2. I realize that
you're trying to compromise for this difference with the
style you're choosing. I have had bad luck trying to figure
out "which way to go" when dealing with 2 very different
pianos. It's been my experience to get each piano in tune
with itself, and then deal with the differences from
there..which, in most cases, is the Bass/Tenor Break area
of the lesser piano.

You'll be fine.

-Phil Bondi(Fl)