Bluthner wires

Allen Wright akwright at btopenworld.com
Sat May 5 05:00:03 MDT 2007

Dear list,

We're restringing a small Bluthner grand, and aren't sure that the
wires on the piano are original. I know Bluthners have been discussed
on the list before, but I can't find any specific comments on wire
gauge sizes. What I'm wondering is what gauge the 4th strings in the
treble sections should be - are they the same gauge as the unisons
they accompany? (Since the lower section is, as I understand, half as
long and tuned an octave higher but the top section is tuned at
unison?).

If these vary from model to model, or depending on the age, I can get
more specific information about the instrument.

If someone can steer us in the right direction it would be most
appreciated!

Sincerely,

Allen Wright, RPT
London, UK