Sticking keys

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri May 4 15:25:21 MDT 2007

Like others have suggested, check for excess friction in the centers.
If you use a gram gauge, you won't be guessing how much friction is
there.  Appearances can be deceiving.

If it's not that, start checking everything else in the most logical
order. The problem will hit you in the face eventually.

For example, I once had a Kawai console with sticking keys, but they
didn't stick consistently. It took what seemed like forever to
diagnose it. I removed wippens and corrected some excess friction, but
that didn't solve it. Different regulation didn't solve it. It turned
out to be not enough clearance between the jack and the letoff rail.
Jacks were being trapped on the rail by the returning hammer butt. And
it LOOKED like (and felt like) there was enough clearance. But moving
the rail was the solution.

JF