Drill Press

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed May 2 07:36:53 MDT 2007

> Spindle speeds, horsepower, and weight (something heavy enough to allow
> it to soak up the vibration, but suitalbe size for a small shop)
>
> Bill

Years ago, when the Earth was young, I bought a new (then)
Rockwell 32" radial. I went for versatility over power, mass,
and precision. Given the same choices today that I had then,
I'd buy the same drill press (but a different table saw).
Since then, Rockwell became Delta, and they let the radial
press die. Grizzley makes one that looks to be a pretty decent
machine at a reasonable price, and I've seen another radial
advertised who's name I don't remember. Oh yes. Somewhere
along the line, I swapped the 1/3hp OEM motor for a 1/2hp,
which will do pretty much anything I need to do.

Jim Busby has a fairly new radial he made a nice pinblock
drilling rig with. What's the brand, Jim?

You don't generally need molecular level accuracy in the shop,
or a wide choice of rpm ranges to poke holes in piano things.
If you need high precision, double drill.

I'd recommend a radial like this for almost anything you will
be called upon to do in a piano shop, and a lot of things more
cautious (sensible) folks wouldn't try. If you plan on boring
a lot of hammers, I'd recommend a second small tight dedicated
press you can mount in a corner somewhere.

I'd like a milling machine too, naturally, but that requires
floor space and a juicy enough rationalization to spend the cash.

Ron N