Steinway B Scale Conversion

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Mar 31 13:37:06 MST 2007

Hi David

You actually raise an interesting point on the equally interesting theme
of technology and how it affects our lives, and our industry as well.  I
know there are a lot of folks left back in the 70's-80's on this front.
Heck this summer I was shocked at the reallllly low quality of telephone
services in parts of the US on our cross country trek.  I guess I'm used
to living in one of the more technology-wise up to date countries in the
world.  Here there is almost no one left without broadband going at 6
mips or better... I dont think people know what a modem is anymore...
:)  In anycase... the world is changing... and I'd stand on the
proposition that already now its more then defendable to start marketing
oneself and ones products as I suggest.

That said... we all know that even the most fabulous of sound equipment
available today can not really faithfully reproduce that experience of
sitting down and playing an instrument. But does it have to necessarilly
?  I think it CAN tell a listener enough to raise a brow... to spawn a
spin of interest... to grap some attention.  I have CD's from Sauter,
Stuart and Sons, Steinway, Yamaha, Overs, Schimmel, Kawaii, Petrof...
and a host of others and one does get a good sense of the sound
picture.... Guys like Dale can certainly show their stuff this way....
even over the net. And for each month that passes... more and more home
users are going to be more and more capable of enjoying the full sound
capability the medium potentially offers.

I say.... get on the wagon folks... because the competition already is.
Much like our ETD discussion me thinks...

Cheers
RicB

    Computer speaker wise, I'm definitely in the middle of the 20th
    century.  If
    I want to listen to good music it's not at the computer.  I know
    there are
    those who, like you, have put excellent sound equipment on their
    computers
    but I'd still bet that the typical computer user is using the small
    speakers
    in their flat screen monitor, like me.  When you consider that most
    of the
    real improvement Dale has introduced in his B is in the area where the
    fundamental is down in the 100-Hz range it's going to take a pretty good
    system to show it off.

    dp