[Files] Restoring 1880s Steinway upright

kswafford at gmail.com kswafford at gmail.com
Sat Mar 31 06:21:32 MST 2007

   Below are just a few pictures of this piano in process. We are now
in the action phase. The super structure menaing beams cut-off blocks
and all rim sound board areas were coming aprt. All has been
reglued.  Modifications  include a rib cromwned pahel made by me.  My
first panel construction.  The transition bridge was stock but the 2
bi-chord 7 tri-chord configuration was changed to all bichords & the
transition is quite seamless betweee both bass & treble strings. I am
pleased by this.  ALso the cantalever bridge has bee replaced by a
solid bridge as seen in photo's.  The pinblock was cut out & inset
blocks inserted for the treble side. The 20 note bass section was
drilled & plugged with 1/2 inch Bolduc plugs. The teble block was
covered over with a new sheet of maple veneer.

  Dennis cleaning notches.  Dennis will graduate from North Bennett
Street school June 1 & then he has selected for intern ship at the
Aspen Music festival starting 3 days later.  Lucky dog. He & many of
his class mates are tuning in the 95% range of the PTG tuning test.
Not bad for young bucks Aye? Dad's proud of course!

   Oddly shaped trapezoidal board with 14 ribs.  This sucker has a
boom..... & belly the size of a small globe

Inset pinblock pieces before veneer.  I love open face blocks.  Tune
very sweet

The glue up.  I'll send more of the finished product later with tonal
results.  I lost money on this project.  The action parts were funky
& all repinned & the hours are greater for this than a grand by far.
Any other sourse for Steinway upright parts. However it was fun
though taxing
   Have a great weekend.
   Regards to all
   Dale Erwin