DIY Ingenuity

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Fri Mar 30 14:47:59 MST 2007

I saw a repair to make a piano operational, when the hammer flange was gone.
The person had inserted lollipop sticks on each side of the hammer to guide
it. They were attached to the hammer rail.
Another was pieces of thread tied to the bridle straps, and to the wire. A
real pain to remove, when replacing the bridle/ action tapes.
Broken shank repaired with a popsicle stick and duct tape, as a splint.
Nails hammered in alongside the pins, hoping to make them tighter.
A piece of coathanger wire, tied on to a broken string, going through the
drilled out hole on the tuning pin. This was an amateur tuner fix.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca