Xylol for tuning pin bushings

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 21:18:02 MST 2007

Bob Hull wrote:

> > Concerning tuning  pin bushings being  soaked in
> > Xylol: Sometime ago Joe Garrett told about using
this method to  make the bushings pliable.
> > This plate has holes too large for the 7/16 o.d.
> > bushings.  Will  the Xylol treatment make them
> swell and fit that hole better?
> >
> > Bob Hull

>  Ron Nossaman <rnossaman at cox.net> wrote:

> If they do swell to fit now, they'll shrink and
> crack later.
> Been there, though not with Xylol. In this case, I'd
> either
> make bushings to fit, or leave them out.
>
> I always liked the feel of plate bushings, and would
> attempt
> to retain them if it was relatively easy to do, but
> if doing
> so presents a bottomless time sink or high
> likelihood of
> failure, I'll abandon them. Part of that decision is
> determined by the pinblock you're using.
>
> Ron N

The block is one I made using multi-lam maple and an
delignit cap expoxied on.  I like the pin support that
is given by bushings and the feel they provide (in
blocks that aren't open faced).  So while I want to
get it right, I can't afford to waste time.  I tried
one of these 7/16 o.d. bushings and it split when the
tuning pin was driven in.  Haven't tried one that I
soaked yet.  Thanks for all the input.

Bob Hull