Ultimate Table Saw

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Thu Mar 29 19:27:51 MST 2007

Ok, so it was new.

What Model Delta, Duaine? A quick search for Delta benchtop saws turns up
only one Delta Benchtop that retails over the $120 you paid.  Model TS200
"retails" for $193, but you can buy it for $150 at Amazon tools.  Maybe I
overlooked something, but at any rate, I'm still talking about a COMPARABLE
new saw.  A benchtop saw does not really compare to a Cabinet saw in most
ways.

I guess my point here follows what David A. emphasized earlier.  Yes, you
can get a table saw that cuts wood for $100.  Heck, my first one was free.
I was even able to make repeatable (mostly) straight cuts after I upgraded
the fence and miter gauge.  However, it (and yours) will never compete with
a high end cabinet saw for stability, repeatability, durability, etc., etc.
It is like many things in life - it's hard to understand the difference
until you experience it.  Ask Terry Farrell about his bandsaw (in case you
haven't read enough already ;-}  ).

Good tools allow you to do more work, better, with less frustration.  It's
not that you can't shape your grand hammer tails entirely by hand, but it
sure is a better world with a spurlock jig and a disc sander.

BTW, I'm certainly not saying a Delta Benchtop isn't a good saw, it is.  Its
just not in the same category as the others, that's all.

William R. Monroe