Xylol for tuning pin bushings

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Thu Mar 29 13:54:04 MST 2007

Or, if you want to use bushings, why not just cut a bunch of appropriate
diameter plugs to length (hey, maybe even cut them out of Delignit), ream
plate if needed, tap bushings in (maybe a drop of glue on the bottom?) and
drill them out with the same motion when drilling the pinblock. I've not
ever done it that way, but I've wondered about it. Any thoughts?

How does Yamaha do theirs - my understanding is that they do it differently
than most rebuilders - they must do something akin to what I've described.

Interesting.

For that matter, why not just epoxy the entire block to the plate (at least
on pianos where the block is not mortised into the rim), and epoxy Delignit
bushings in (to the block and to the plate). That would sure make things
nice and solid. I thought about that when looking at this Julius Bauer grand
I was working on a while back while thinking of Ron Over's plate/pinblock
design - much like the Bauer where the pinblock is surrounded on all sides
by plate flange. Just epoxy the whole dern thing together. Why not? The next
guy can simply cut/route/drill everything out 95 years from now.

Terry Farrell