Restoring shine to a Yamaha

Michelle Smith michelle at smithpianoservice.com
Thu Mar 29 08:44:23 MST 2007

Hi all.  I recently removed about a ¼ inch of dust from a church’s Yamaha
grand.  There were lots of fingerprints on the fallboard so I proceeded to
put on some Cory polish that specifically states it removes fingerprints.
(By the way, this is a lacquer finish.) Well, it immediately clouded up, I
tried buffing it off, it looked terrible, I applied some Cory wood cleaner
which made the wood look very dull.  I talked to the Cory people who said it
was probably reacting with a previously applied oil-based polish and I
should apply a little Windex to remove the oil.  When I applied the Windex
nothing happened.  The fall board basically looks like someone removed the
shine.

The rest of the cleaning job worked out so well and I’m kicking myself that
this has happened to the fallboard.  Any suggestions are great appreciated!

Michelle Smith

Smith Piano Service

Bastrop, Texas

(512) 466-0238