Poor man's soundboard press

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Wed Mar 28 04:54:21 MST 2007

MessageHi Marcel. I really meant to be serious with my comment. On a longer rib, let's say one inch wide (many are wider) by 36 inches long (some are longer), your rig is pushing your upper board upwards with 1800 lbs. of force - that's like your retaining system supporting an old VW bug with me inside it! It's really quite amazing how much force one can generate with a simple setup like this.

I've had a couple slight mishaps with my presses with some pretty dramatic results - usually just more scary than dangerous - but I think that is perhaps because I overbuilt my presses.

It appears that the upper caul is retained by one velcro strip at each end. If I am seeing that correctly, you might want to think about slipping some sort of steel safety device around there also - just in case......

I enjoy your input to this list - I just don't want to hear about you having to have a caul-ectomy from your skull!  :-O

Terry Farrell