Temperament use, (was Feldman's piano)

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Mar 27 04:29:43 MST 2007

I tune pianos in a few jazz spots and place Coleman 11. Everyone loves it.

As far as comparison goes, remember back to the Providence Convention
and the Festival of Temperaments. There was a line up of pianos (5 or 6?)
and Bill Bremmer's EBVT was the last one standing.

It showed me that what I considered some of my better "ET" craftings were
actually some form of WT (or at least Quasi-Equal). From there I decided on
purchasing the VT-100 because I didn't want to take the time to learn new
aural temperament bearings and also felt with my advanced age that the
extremes were not what they used to be. Evident by breaking many C8 strings.

It's so much easier to let the machine place the note and let my ear verify.
The db reduction was a blessing too by not incessantly pounding two notes
while deciding on the 'sweet spot'.
--

Regards,

Jon Page