Temperament use, (was Feldman's piano)

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Mon Mar 26 12:09:48 MST 2007

Cy writes:
<<  the jazz players I tune for all say that

they routinely practice the same tunes in every key, so at least the mental

concept of a circulating temperament seems to be a stumbling block in

getting them to try one.

How do you get past that?  Just put on something mild like a Coleman and let

them try it? >>

Yes.
       I explain that the inequality is a feature rather than a stumbling
block.  You can let the jazzers know that some tunes sound a lot better in a
particular key, and it is not always the most consonant key that lets the mood of
the music be transmitted most eloquently.  Give them a small taste of
'bending' the normal temperament with a Moore and Co. and they will most often ask
about more change at the next tuning.
      The Coleman 11 is a great sounding Victorian style of tuning.  The
Moore and Co. is even milder and has proven to be my first step with most
customers.  If they are seriously involved in Classical, there are more dramatic
departures from strict ET.
     There is no substitute for the non-verbal impression of what a
temperament really does to music. That can only be had by playing and listening.  Get
the piano tuned and don't clutter up the expectations with a lot of
explanations,(which will mean more if it comes after they fall in love with a new piano
sound.)
Regards,

free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.</HTML>