How much tuning pin in pinblock?

PAULREVENKOJONES paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sun Mar 25 15:37:13 MST 2007

How much tuning pin in pinblock?

In a message dated 03/25/07 08:24:46 Central Daylight Time, jonpage at comcast.net writes:

I think a more important consideration is the thickness of the plate in determining
the length of the tuning pin.  The method mentioned above takes into account the
thickness of the block which is unimportant unless you are using too long of a pin.
It also doesn't account for larger diameter wire creating wider coils.  I try to use
pins 1/8" longer for the single bass strings.
I, too, have used this strategy.

There should be some space between the bottom of the pin and bottom of the block
in the event of driving the pin deeper so as not to have the pin protrude the bottom
of the block as many Vose & Sons did and some new pianos which I think had Wyman
on the fallboard and were displayed in Rochester last year.
I saw the same thing, Jon, and was mystified, but not really :-).

One application where a long pin is helpful is on some vertical pianos where there is
a high counter bearing in the bass. Having the coils higher off the plate would reduce
the sharp upwards angle of the string.  I think there are 2 5/8" pins for this.
Where are these available from, Jon?

And too much pin length in the block can make for difficult pin setting especially if the
metal is springy.
--

Regards,

Jon Page

PS  Terry, your posts (and many others) require scrolling sideways
when viewing the list via the archive. Is your e-mail program set for
lines over 72 characters?  It's as though you never hit the return key
while typing. It's curious that most missives do not 'run-on'.
Check it out:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2007-March/204162.html